View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
catlovermi

Many years ago, I was in an Outward Bound type survival program. One of the "experiences" (wry smile as I write that) was to go rappelling, which I had never done. It also wasn't optional.

One my biggest life lessons ever came from that "experience."

Strapped into a hip harness, I went over the corner of the cliff, deer hide gloves over my hands, holding the rope. As I leaned backwards over the corner of the cliff, my body weight became what felt like exponentially heavier, holding the rope in my hands.

There comes a tilt point, going over a cliff, where one is first backing up horizontally to the edge, but then one transitions to vertical OVER the edge, when one's arms and feet cannot sustain the body weight. The hip harness must take the weight.

I had to come to total, shaking, muscle fatigue, before my strength failed and I had to release the weight from my hands, and let it transfer to the hip harness.

What did I learn?

That sometimes you must DO first, in order to get to that point of feeling safety. There was NO WAY my brain was EVER going to let go of that rope with my hands, voluntarily, and TRUST that hip harness.

But the instant my arms failed and that weight transferred to the hip harness, I had my proof that it would hold me, and I was fine.

CLMI