View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
blake1989

Mike,
I remember you being one of the first repliers to one of my threads when I joined here. And I am so thankful for that.

I deal with this analog - this ghost in the machine. I have a therapist, and I also have SR. Someone wrote to me that if she is leaving me voicemail messages, even if I don't respond, she is still talking to me. It sounds a lot like your analog.

The second thing I will say is what my therapist said to me. She said that allowing this analog to talk to me is like a form of 'using'. Not using in the personal sense like using a person for something, but like using in the addiction sense. I will not apply that to you because I don't know anything, but I too feel so much guilt as well and this analogy made sense to me. But by allowing this analog to talk to me, I am 'using' and kicking myself.

This analog is not allowed to talk to me now (or at least I hit the mute button as much as I can), even though in some ways I want to talk to it, I want to listen to her, I want to hear her feelings, and I feel guilty about so many ways we did not communicate and ways I could not 'help' her. But it was never in my power. I shouldn't feel guilty - I noticed recently that she's not mad at me for cutting off contact, she's mad at me for cutting off her 'supply' and trying to get better myself. I miss her so much, I loved her so much, but she doesn't _get_ to talk to me through this analog anymore.

I can tell you have worked on this, and who am I to give any advice - my analog is still there, but in my case, it is a fire raging from afar, and I could listen to it and think 'see, you couldn't extinguish this and make a future', or I could look at it and see that it is burning the world to the ground, and I wasn't even a firefighter - I was more like a tree in the middle of it all. I'm combustible lol. It wasn't my fault that she is this way. I loved her, but I couldn't love her 'out' of this.

I carry in my heart that I always did the right thing with her (I'm not perfect but man I tried hard for her), and it just didn't work. She is immune to this, so why would her analog react any differently.

Maybe some of this makes sense. I'm working on switching off the analog myself, and sometimes it is very loud, and the guilt is tremendous. I know I couldn't help her, and my issues are a little different than guilt sometimes - it's hard to type out. It's like I know I made the right choice, but why did I make the right choice? But maybe you can take something from this, as I have from your posts.