Thread: Antabuse
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Razorback

I am taking Antabuse voluntarily - no legal problems or anything like that. Am taking a half-dose of 250 mg, and I am frankly relieved to be out and about knowing that I simply can't drink. I lost 5 lbs (needed) the first week and am already more clear and productive. Everyone's different, but for my kind of drinking, it's just the thing. I'm also relieved to discover I don't crave alcohol, it was more the social situation and a certain lack of mindfulness when people were pouring/ordering drinks. I'm using this time to develop and teach myself new, healthier habits.

I did have a few sips of wine the first day, about 12 hours after taking it. I turned bright red. Can only imagine exploding or something if I'd continued. Glad I did that, because now I know it's for real. Not interested in getting sick. Many of my toiletries contain alcohol and that's not been an issue at all, although this is just my experience and I imagine everyone's different. All I know is that I feel SO good just passing by all the beach bars on my evening walk without temptation. Went in once and had a club soda with friends; about then I realized several others there were having iced tea or soda too.