Thread: nightmares
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
blake1989

Hey there. Yes, I've been having constant night terrors in the 2 (3?) weeks since I left my alcoholic gf. Every darn night. Part of this could be attributed to the drugs I'm taking. I've been prescribed propanolol for anxiety because it is not a controlled substance (though they gave me klonopin too) and I read that it can actually affect dreams. I take doxylamine (otc unisom) to sleep because honestly I can't sleep yet even with my trusty sounds of nature iphone app.

In the few months leading up to my ending it, I had lots of nightmares when I slept next to her. Some of them were about her dying in a car accident when she was drinking, others were about her blacking out and doing something to me in my sleep. That is very far fetched and I'm not trying to demonize her - it's just what goes on in your dreams after some of the drama I saw in the waking hours. My friend probably put that in my head because he always said "I don't want you to end up like Phil Hartman."

The thing is, chemicals and rx drugs aside, major life changes will act themselves out in the deep subconscious. So it is no surprise to me that we are having nightmares.

I am hesitant to give any advice because I'm so tattered and mixed up myself. But my gut tells me that if the weather is safe, that 45 mile drive should not get in your way. I just don't like the idea of you having nightmares while sleeping at your ex's place. Wouldn't it feel better to be at your dad's even if it's a long drive? Sorry if I am sounding ignorant or not understanding - I am just trying to picture this if it were my situation, and it would be bad for me.