Thread: brain lapses
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
fishsmacker

Arrow

Originally Posted by JackieC View Post
I wasn't sure what to call this because I don't know what they are but for the past few days I've been experiencing these moments where I mean to say one word and end up saying a different, unrelated word. Or, even weirder, sometimes mixing up letters between words. Examples just from today: My neighbors were walking by our house and I meant to call out "Hi guys!" but instead called out "Guy Highs!" Then later when I was driving with my kids, I meant to tell my daughter that we'd do valentine cards when we got home and I said "We'll do valentine houses when we get home." I sort of feel like I'm losing my mind!

Stuff like that, but continually throughout the past three days. I'm only 42 and though I have of course experienced lots of memory loss in my time, never anything like this.

I'm on Day 53 and was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. I don't want to suddenly blame anything and everything on the fact that I quit drinking but maybe it's an effect of quitting that I don't know about?

Stymied,
Jackie
Well here I am too also able to relate with this.I'm over five months in & some days are better & others worse,but yeah I get this effect when I get nervous or in a rush. I have in the last 2 weeks been catching sensing it before it actually comes about but haven't yet been able to correct it.But the days in between seem to be spreading out farther apart ,hence it seems as though its reversing somewhat.I think it has something to do with retraining the brain & the rate of speed at which the mind is processing the words now. Seems asif the ratio/blending of words is messed up,,,but is deffinatly getting better,as I am now typing alot better/faster than before I joined this site just a fews days back ! Has self confidence (and forgive yourself,its something we have to remaster/takes time) whilst you pass thru this as we will be doing it together.Peace