Thread: Stay or go?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2005, 05:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

Texas Girl, let me ask you this...............are the good things out-weighing the bad things right now?
Is he giving more to the relationship than he's taking or coming out even? If so, that's wonderful and makes it even harder for you to make a big decision like leaving.

But you know, as was already said, alcoholism is a progressive disease and it will continue to get worse. Keep asking yourself if it's really worth it and what you are getting out of the marriage.
Don't let yourself get lost in his addiction. It happens to the best of us even when we say we won't ever allow it. Alcoholism is a cunning disease and it can grab up the best people and suck them in and effect everyone around them.

One thing I really want to comment on because I've seen the devastation it causes...you made the comment about protecting your future children.
Let me tell you how I feel pretty blunt and to the point. Just my opinion.
If you have concerns now about bringing children into this situation - then perhaps you shouldn't plan to have children.
And if you want children someday but not in this situation - rethink who you want to have children with and what environment you wish to raise them in.
I have 3 children - my AH is an alcoholic. My brother has 4 children - he is an alcoholic. I see the internal scars that the children of these alcoholics carry and will continue to carry forever. And while my parents were not alcoholics, both of my grandfathers were; therefore, my parents carry those scars as well and it affected the way they parented too.

I am not one to say "Run!" right away. I like to believe that those that want and seek and work for thier recovery have a chance of making it in the sober life. But that means that they have to do it! They have to want it, seek it, work it, etc. But also, the people affected (like you) have to want, seek, and work for recovery too. Whether there are children involved or not.