View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chantal88

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.

No I don't think it's wrong to be hopeful. It's important to remember just how drastically addiction can alter a person's personality. What can be perceived as flaws in a person's character, are actually the result of a very strong physical addiction.

My friend was awful when he was drinking. It was like I was dealing with a complete stranger, I didn't even recognize who he was. He's now been sober for two years, and I feel like I have my friend back.

Hope is only a negative emotion when it's mixed with delusion. Being hopeful that one day you're going to win the lottery and depending on that hope to get you through life is delusional. Being hopeful that your friend will get better and overcome this life threatening illness that he has, is just you being a good friend.

I can't say that I know a lot or even a little about how to manage through tough life situations. But I have learned a few things. One thing I've learned is this - never give up on the people that you love. This doesn't mean exposing myself to abuse or mistreatment if someone is sick and lashing out. But it does mean having compassion and loving them even when they struggle through the dark times.

C