View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

I did a lot of drugs in the past and I was definitely addicted to opiates for about a year and a half. What I found is that while I had a physical addiction to opiates (which blossomed from legitimate use for chronic pain after complications from major surgery), I did not have a mental obsession for them. Once I was able to break the physical addiction I no longer craved them or obsessed over them.

Looking back there was one constant for me, alcohol. I drank when I did drugs and I drank when I didn't do drugs. The drugs came and went during my drinking career but king alcohol was my master.

I know several people in AA who would probably identify themselves as drug addicts with an alcohol problem. Generally if/when they drink it leads them back to their drug(s) of choice, so they do have a genuine desire to stop drinking. These people tend to keep their shares to their experience with alcohol or their addiction in a general manner without getting into details about a particular drug. The addicts I know in AA have good sobriety and have a lot of experience to offer, but they have learned to share in a way that stays true to AA's primary purpose.