View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I used to call myself alkie/addict but that was a lie. The truth was drugs in general were my "drug of choice" until I chose not to use them anymore. By an act of the will, I stopped. That would qualify me as a drug abuser, maybe even a heavy user, but not a real addict. I would, when using drugs, often/usually be taken to my drug of no choice - booze. That qualifies me as powerless over drugs once in my system but, as I just stated, I hadn't lost the power of choice yet.

My drug of NO choice was alcohol. Regardless of what I'd choose or decide, I'd be drinking again shortly.

I know several "addicts" who could take or leave booze - but once drinking were powerless over where the booze took them - to drugs.

When a heroine addict shoots up, his physical craving subsides. When an alcoholic get his drink, his physical craving for more is triggered.

So, while some have indicated an opinion that drug addiction and alcoholism are the same, they're clearly not. I didn't like accepting that when I first heard it so I anticipate others won't like it either.

My powerlessness over drugs (once in my system) and my desire to stay "clean" may qualify me to attend a closed NA meeting, I would not share at said meeting (and I haven't when I've gone) and I'd never presume to sponsor or carry my story to a real addict.

As for not liking this program or that program but insisting AA's deal seems to work..... Why not follow the instruction aimed right at such a dilemma: "create the fellowship you crave." Ie... Start your own meeting with people who've got the same problem who are looking for the same solution. Rather than continuing to bitch about some of the (IMO) crappy meetings in my area, I'm looking into starting a new meeting where, God willing, a fellowship will grow of like minded people who's participation, insight and fellowship we'll all crave.

And finally, when something or someone in AA ticked me off, it was usually my self-centered reaction to insist AA or the other person change to suit me. Over time I've come to understand and accept that my problems ARE of my making and that they arise out of me - selfish and self-centered in the extreme....though I usually don't think so. Not believing they're MY problem, I typically avoid steps 4 and 5 (where we make a list that's the KEY to our freedom) for as long as I can take the pain of self pity, anxiousness, and general emotional discord. Then..... I finally break down and try working the steps again.....where I learn for the gazillionth time....thankfully....that no person nor any institution needs to change for me to be OK.