View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Music

Originally Posted by 4thdimension86 View Post
I am bringing this up because the chair person at a meeting interrupted me while I was sharing and told me to keep it to alcoholism because I was talking about drugs. What really ticked me off was that the chair person was a heroin addict like myself and no one else in that meeting cared. In fact most of them were addicts. Yes I caught a resentment! I think society views alcohol as being different as drugs and unfortunately that attitude is still prevalent in AA. If simply mentioning drugs in a meeting is a violation of the traditions than that means every reference to drugs in the Big Book needs to be removed. Any opinions on this matter?
If I'd been chairing that meeting, I would have interrupted you too! The only distinction I would make is this. If you were sitting in a "closed" AA meeting, the topic is to be kept on the subject of AA or alcoholism as it relates to each person. If you were off on a tangent about shooting, snorting, or smoking, you were off subject. An AA meeting ceases to be an AA meeting when the topic has to do with anything other than AA or alcoholism. If you want to discuss something else, go to an "open" meeting where you can speak on any subject. Otherwise, stand by for more resentments. By the way, even though Bob and Bill were involved in other things, they still settled on calling us Alcoholics Anonymous. The third tradition says the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking. Emphasize the word "drinking".