View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
ToxicTonic
Diez de Mayan

If anyone is interested.....read about a group called the 'washingtonians'. It was a group that preceded AA, and it's goal was to help alcoholics. They then decided since it worked so well for that, to open it up to other 'problems'. Well, the group disbanded soon after that. I read somewhere also, that there is a difference between how the body processes alcohol and other drugs. I'm sure I'll be challenged with facts and/or statistics, and that's fine. I just don't have the time to be doing exhaustive research and posting about it. I actually have a life now that I'm sober!

I just attended an 'AA' group yesterday that believes in talking about drugs and alcohol and doesn't follow AA traditions. The meeting is dying. There are only a handful of people that go there. There is one guy who sits at the front table and thinks he's the boss or something and is very opinionated. He started with me yesterday about how 'his group' can talk about anything. Well, fine...but it's not AA then. So, each to his own. AA works for me and I just will go 'over the river and through the woods' to the 'real' AA meeting that sticks to traditions and is always packed with people! Nobody has been kicked out of that meeting for talking about drugs, but most people are respectful of the group conscience and don't. If they want to they can go to the other group and talk at length about it. I've used drugs to enhance my drinking and I will mention that in my story, but the focus is on alcohol, my drug of choice. If I was a heroin addict or something I would to to NA as it would **** me off that I am restricted to talking about it in AA. But I'm not. I went to both meetings and I identify more with AA.

So, to each his own. There's so many meetings, some are pure AA, some are hybrid. Instead of fighting to change that meeting with the guy who runs it, I choose to practice changing the things I can change and not go to that meeting anymore.