View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by 4thdimension86 View Post
I identify myself as an alcoholic in meetings but I still do not feel that talking about drugs is a violation of the traditions. If so the BB needs to be revised because it is full of violations.
Since you identify yourself as an alcoholic, you red-flag yourself when you talk, if at length, of your drug abuse. Alcoholism is of course describing an addiction to alcohol, but within AA alcoholism is much more than simply another drug addiction. AA defines alcoholism specifically, and this makes all the difference for the members of AA. I describe myself as a recovered alcoholic drug addict, and I always have done so since becoming sober back in the 1981. Back then, in the '80's, illegal drug use was still ramping upwards. Nixon had declared official war on drugs in 1971. Alcohol was not included as a target of that useless effort against drugs. Nowadays, alcohol is openly known as a drug which can have fatal consequences, but even then its mostly known for its horror with drunk driving and increasingly for snuffing out young lives when mixed with other drugs.

Like it or not, at every level of our civilized society, alcohol, alcoholism, and recovery from alcohol - all this still has a significant difference in the public awareness as does illegal drugs. Pharmaceuticals have also kept a distinctive understanding in our society. People have different personal reasons for abusing alcohol, illegal drugs, and prescriptions. Since addiction doesn't respect societal norms or boundaries, then the movers and shakers of the world will continue to call the world of addiction as they see fit. Make no mistake, drug addiction to whatever drug is big business any way you want to slice n dice it. Same with recovery the last few decades. It's simply the way supply and demand works, and nothing is going to much change about supply since demand is only increasing, unfortunately. Knowledge and experience passed onto others can make a difference, I believe. Ultimately though, science will provide the best "workable solution" to the drug addiction scene in modern society, imo.

AA has indeed made the right choice in being inclusive for alcoholism and exclusive for everything else. Speaking for myself again here, I am a recovered alcoholic drug addict.