View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
paulokes

There have been many compulsions in my life. The way that I behave when I'm trying to get (or keep) a girl is different from how I behave when I'm trying to get (or hide) a drink. When I obsess about work or chase money, my behaviour, my priorities change. If I am trying to rescue you or please you, my behaviour can seem quite insane in the light of day.

My life was saved when I heard people with the same problems describe me through their own experience...first with Alcohol and then with other things. I was not alone or insane - there was a solution. But you can't give away what you don't have...and I cannot give the gift of identification to a drug addict or compulsive eater...nor can I receive it. Identification matters - the leaflet "Alcohol and other Problems" covers this ground well.

I dont think discussion of drug use in meetings is usually seen as a problem. But we come to share the solution to "our common problem" and folks are sometimes picked up when they drift away from this.

My heart goes out to any person who thinks they need AA but somehow feels it excludes them. The need for AA to be about Alcoholism overrides that though IMO...it's up to the individual to walk whatever path they need to walk.

P
P