View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
4thdimension86

Hmmmmm I could be wrong but NA was founded in the 1950s and was originally called AA/NA. From what I heard addicts were not as welcome in AA back then. Drug use was very taboo during that era. I read something online about how the police used to stake out NA meetings back then so they could bust junkies. The bottom line is that NA is not the same 12 step program. It is very similar but I did not find a solution in NA. I appreciate many aspects of NA but I could never picture myself staying sober through NA. I understand the disease concept of NA but I believe I have the spiritual malady described in AA. It is in interesting story about how I ended up in AA and not NA. When I was in rehab I was exposed to both fellowships but was uncertain of which one I wanted to belong to. After leaving rehab I got caught in a really bad position. I was stuck at someones house that was full of drugs and I knew I would be stuck there for three days until I could leave. I did not want to use and didn't know what to do so I called people in both fellowships and asked for direction. Everyone I called in NA told me to "just not use." I can't just not use! The person I called in AA told me to pray. Praying is what kept me sober through those three days. That person in AA later became my sponsor. If all addictions to mind altering substances are not the same than why does AA work so well for addicts like me? I identify myself as an alcoholic in meetings but I still do not feel that talking about drugs is a violation of the traditions. If so the BB needs to be revised because it is full of violations.