View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I'm with the chair on this one.

I also don't agree that a drug is a drug is a drug, etc. If that were the case, we would have NA and that's it. Problems for everyone solved. But that's not the case - there are hundreds of groups that are 12-step based to address specific addictions and behaviours.

I know that there is always a lively discussion on this topic, and I understand that there are many cross addicted folks out there, but if a newcomer walks into an AA meeting and they hear someone share about shooting up and snorting and nothing else, then I wonder how they will identify...are they in the right place, etc. I myself have sat through AA meetings where there was a majority of people discussing drugs and maybe some alcohol. I don't have to return to those meetings, and I usually don't. That's my prerogative.

Having said that, I certainly would never ask anyone to leave though. That's contrary to the spirit of the fellowship and the program, in my view. I can always direct someone to a fellowship that is more in line with their main issue.

Just an opinion though