View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Damaged2

How could I have not seen???

Hello. I am brand spanking new to this forum and to the world of alcoholism. I've been married for 18 years and with my husband for 22 years. He's always had alcohol. He's Irish from Boston. Isn't that what they do? I never, never, never in my wildest dreams thought he had a "problem". But he does. He's admitted it to himself and to me and he's going to a therapist and talking about going to AA meetings (but he hasn't pulled the trigger on that yet).

I found this forum by googling "high functioning alcoholic husband" and it popped to a thread posted by "Highfunction" and I started crying while reading all the posts.

How could I have not seen? My father (who never drank) was very abusive and my mom is the classic enabler and I worked for many years to overcome a lot of my own issues (depression, PTSD, etc). I would have known if I was marrying an alcoholic, wouldn't I???

I'm not really sure what to do from here. Can anyone relate to me - to being so blindsided and...just blind?? I'm not a stupid person and I don't go into denial - I'm brutal with the truth and I face everything head on. It's like everything I thought was true is now suspect --- what else have I missed?