View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
ClearMind

Originally Posted by newme2day View Post
Blackouts . . .hangovers . . .saying and doing things better kept to myself . . .I am guessing normal drinkers don't experience this?! I guess I have been trying to glorify it and conveniently forgetting all the bad. . .
I think as alcohol addicts - even when we don't necessarily intend to - tend to understate the significance and severity of these symptoms because it has been happening so often over an often large number of years. I mean, over the few years before I stopped drinking, it had gotten to a point where I would black out almost every time I drink. A blackout is a severe, and very significant thing! It's a temporary form of brain damage. If we had experienced a blackout from a non-drinking activity, we would be shocked. For example, if I went to the mall earlier today to buy some sneakers, and I was sober while doing so... and all of a sudden tomorrow morning I woke up and couldn't remember doing this... I would probably be in a psychiatric ward by tomorrow night. But because it is alcohol induced, we tend to brush it off a little bit more. It's insane.