View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Driver1

Battle with Citizens Insurance is in the books! Victory Tobers!! Please allow me to gloat!!!

Wife and I own the house next door. We rent it. Like mine, built in 1948 with some cool hardwood floors throughout.

End of August tenant reports something "funny" going on with floors. I inspect and find nonpressurized pipe (i.e., drain out) busted in crawl space below house (likely caused by plumber month before when used a cable machine to clear a kitchen sink stoppage). Any rate, bust caused increasing water saturation in ground where water eventually evaporates and gets absobed by subfloor above and then hardwood floors...mini disaster. Slats crown (not so bad), cup (not so bad), and tent (bad).

Citizens denies claim under premise that: "result of constant or repeated seepage or leakage of water which occurs over a period of time and not the result of a single occurrence".

I get it, but how frickin vague is that?

I'll bet there are at least a few who walk away ("oh well') while companies laugh way to bank. That doesn't seem right. I mean, isn't this what insurance is for?

I asked for mediation. Been preparing my docs/pictures/estimates for months.

Meeting:

Me: Umm, what is "constant"? it's not a pressurized pipe, so technically it's not constant.

What is a "period of time"? I could pick my nose for a 5 second period of time. The triassic era of dinosaurs is a period of time. (BTW, my examples were far more diplomatic in meeting, but y'all get the point).

"single occurrence"? seems like a pipe breaking is a single occurrence to me.

Mediator appreciated "persuasive and organized" argument (thank you very much).

Insurance company settled. For more than cost to complete job (I've actually already completed the job but just decided to leave that out at meeting cuase did not want to tip my hand).

I probably could have pushed for cost of complete tear out, but that's just not necessary. I am not greedy. Just wanted restoration. Fact is, I like the look of these old, seasoned floors. Repair, sand, stain, and poly and they pop throughout.

This is one of a small handful of "post-quit", but hoped "pre-baby" tasks that did not get done (out of my control obviously). But done now! Man I'm glad this one is over. It really took a lot of time orchestrating. So glad to have that couple slivers of bandwidth back!

If you are still reading, thanks for letting me revel Tobers.

Babies!