View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Driver1

Originally Posted by WhoDey View Post
I'm asking because I know from past attempts at sobriety that slips are not singular events, but more of a process. This feels like I'm in the process stream that could lead me to a slip. Looking for ways to reset myself.
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
Who - I can't give you perspective for more than 3.5 months because, as you know, we're on the same sober timetable...but I can say I'm having similar thoughts. Mine generally aren't strong enough to start up again, but now I find myself having to be even more thoughtful about the situations I put myself in, especially with things like meeting friends at certain places and grocery shopping.

You've described what goes on really well and I've thought about this some as my own urges have come up. For me it feels like the former - heavy lifting is done, I can relax a bit. I'm realizing, though, it's that relaxation that may get me into some hot water. I don't mind the vigilance so much, it keeps me accountable and in-check...I'm a bit of a control freak about some stuff, so it probably feeds that need a bit (I'll take it!).

Thanks for bringing up that topic.
I've not experienced these thoughts to this point. But early on I questioned mi Tobers about relapse. We had a very thoughtful (and seasoned) teammate - SarahLanter - who provided the following response. Perhaps Gorski may have some insights that will help you "reset" WhoDey. Stay strong guys.

Sarah: Driver 1, relapse is a tricky thing. After 4 1/2 years of sobriety I went out. First, just by finishing someone else's glass of wine. And my thoughts and feelings about AA began to change. Terence Gorski, who specializes in relapse prevention, says that relapse happens weeks before the first drink. That is my personal experience and observing other people.