View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marie87

EXPOSED by my son

Hello all,
I have been denying my alcoholism for most of my life. I partied when I was a kid. I blamed it on being a kid. I drank alone when my kids were young. I blamed it on my unhappy marriage. My husband died. I blamed my drinking on that. I got into another relationship a few years later and drank more and blamed it on the fact that I missed out on drinking when I was in my 20s because my kids were small. (As you see, I was lying to myself THEN, too). I ended up wrapping my car around a tree one night. THANK GOD I didn't hurt myself or anyone else, but I blamed it on a deer and claimed to have fled the scene because it was an unsafe neighborhood. I got off with no punishment as you may have guessed. I said I thought I was an alcoholic to a few people, and they told me, "Nah, alcoholics drink every day and in the morning, too." That was easy enough to swallow until I saw my son's face one day when I was drunk. He was 23, and he yelled at me and walked out, angry and disgusted. "MOM! YOU'RE AN ALCOHOLIC. I CAN'T SEE YOU LIKE THIS ANYMORE." he yelled. I felt upset, embarrassed, and FINALLY exposed. It was then it hit me. They had been suffering along with me, and I chose not to see it because that was a threat to my alcoholism. It took the words of a son that had seen enough to show me what was going on. I haven't had a drink since and I have my life back thanks to my son and my God. Thank you for letting me vent. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Just wondering.