View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
hopeful4

I have mixed feelings about this. I do think addiction is selfish. Yes, it becomes a point to where the addiction has eaten you up. However, if there was guilt every time he put a needle in his arm, why not seek help. Especially someone with his resources. I am not an addict so I truly do not understand that mind set. I do believe it's an epidemic and is eating away at our society.

An addict still knows it is wrong to steal. An addict still knows it is wrong to lie. They still put their own well being in front of that of their family and kids. They still say no and find excuses when offered help. To me...that is selfish.

I don't mean to not be compassionate. I do see both sides of it. However I have personally watched an addict who is sitting at CR be offered inpatient help for however long they need it, and say no. I was blown away. They had an opportunity for help, to have all their needs taken care of inpatient and bills paid while they were there for however long it takes, no time limits...and still said no. This person had no job, nothing holding them back but drugs and a tortured set of parents. How is that not selfish?? They later ended up in jail a short time later. How very sad.