Old 02-02-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Recovering2

Congratulations Dr Deafhound! I am currently working on my doctorate, so I can appreciate how hard you worked to reach that milestone!!!

A couple of years back, when my RABF was still very active in his disease, I trained for an IM triathlon. 2.6mi swim, 112mi bike, 26.2mi run. Not easy. I trained really really hard for over a year. It was made harder by the addiction in my house. I got blamed all the time for his drinking. I was spending too much time training, not home enough, not focused on us etc etc. It was all just guilt and blame shifting. He told friends he was proud of me. When I was home, he was drunk and ignoring me, so wtf??? I was determined to not let him derail me, and he didn't. The race was out of state, and I told him he wasn't coming. About 2 weeks before the race, he tells me he's really proud of me and wants to come. Promises to stay sober. So I give in. I completed my race, and felt like you did. No one can ever take this away from me. He comes up to me at the finish line, and almost knocks me over when he hugs me. He is a drunk disaster. He actually did manage to steal that finish line moment from me. Ugh. That was it. When we got home, I started packing.

Don't feel any guilt for whatever it took to get your doctorate. The A will use whatever they can to make us feel guilty. Then they don't have to take any responsibility. Find an AlAnon group near you, and start to work on your recovery. You deserve a better life than hiding in a room with your dog.

FWIW, my cat was scared of my BF when he was drinking. If he entered a room she ran out. Animals have a sense when things aren't right. So protect your dog, your AH may act out when drunk and not be aware of what he's doing. Don't let that dog become collateral damage.