Thread: Anyone like me?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Admiral

My pattern of use is similar to yours. At my worst I was drinking 2-3 times a week, I never passed out though, I always got extremely sick before that ever happened.

It's not important how often you drink, or how much trouble it's caused you, it's your relationship with alcohol. Someone else on this forum made a really good analogy; substitute alcohol for any part of a meal. Do you ever feel concerned about how much corn, or how much mashed potatoes you will get to eat at a meal? Do you plan ahead of time how much of that given food you will be able to eat, and ways you might be able to get more? To normal people, alcohol is just like any other part of a meal, they can take it or leave it, they don't think about it, they don't really care about it. Is that how you feel about alcohol? Can you take it or leave it? From your initial post it doesn't sound like you have a good relationship with alcohol.

Another important thing to think about is why you drink to excess in the first place. A lot of drug abuse and alcoholism is really just self medication of unresolved, or often times unrealized pain. I would encourage you to examine yourself, what kinds of thoughts are in your head? How do you react to things in everyday life, are you angry? Are you sad? Do you have anxiety?