View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ghostlight1

I drank for twenty years because I had anxiety. And, like you, for awhile it worked.
Then, I crossed the line into alcoholism and found out what anxiety really is at its worst. The days after a binge would leave me terrified, full of fear and anxiety that once was so bad I hid in the closet I was so freaked out.
I don't know how much you drink, but with me, it was progressive until I was drinking most every day.
I remember being on a three day bender and being scared to stop drinking because I knew what awaited me. Misery, insurmountable anxiety and remorse. It was a living nightmare.

It's been three years since I've had a drink now and all my mental problems surfaced. I faced them and sought help. One of my diagnoses is anxiety disorder. What I was masking for all those years was a mental illness.
Now I'm on medication for it and haven't had an anxiety attack since I've been taking it.

So be forewarned, if you think drinking helps you with anxiety, keep drinking and you'll find out the terror that is alcohol induced anxiety.
I truly hope you don't reach that point.