Thread: Becoming
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

This is turning into a pretty great thread!

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I am hiking the Grand Canyon in November. I need to get stronger so that I am sure to make it.
That's awesome! I am nuts about hiking and camping. Once I'm done with school and can get a few life things squared away I'd love to hike the AT, or at least a good stretch of it. Back before my dad passed away he and I used to like to take summer vacations at this really great old fishing lodge in Saskatchewan. It used to be fairly primitive but over the years the got electricity and stuff.

I'd also love to take a couple weeks to paddle the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and visit Olympic Natl Park. Lastly, if I can afford it someday I'd like to hike, camp and fish in Alaska.

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
Hi myth. Regarding your interest in Philosophy, I too am a nut! Maybe you already know, but Yale & Princeton both offer amazing online only classes (free). Me personally, I love ethics and right now Yale is offering a class on the moralities of everyday life. It's only the 2nd week. They come up every few months or so, you can check on Coursera if you were interested! There are a ton of classes of every nature.
I've looked at some of those classes, very good stuff. Until I finish up my degree in business administration I don't have an awful lot of time but I want to pursue some of those classes seriously when I can. I have a ton of great lectures from The Teaching Company, very good stuff, too.

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
MofS - I so relate to your comments. I often remind myself that Rome was not built in a day and layering activities, goals, hobbies for me is the best approach, as too much become overwhelming and paralysis sets in, for me. I have recently changed my diet and am following a loose version of the Paleo diets and strict about no grains, except quinoa and no processed sugars.

I have been on a Paleo-ish/Atkins-ish diet for years. Now that I've kicked the bottle it's a lot easier. I avoid grains as much as I can and eat mostly meat and low-glycemic-index veggies, as well as cheese and nuts. I kind of 'fell of the wagon' diet-wise during the holidays as most of my family eat the SAD. But I'm making a huge push right now to get serious and stay strong. It's hard when it's so cold, though- my body seems to cry out for carbs!

Originally Posted by fini View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...60444564,d.cGU

check it out; took the guy six years to translate it.
Hahaha! That's great! I was reading the reviews for that book a couple weeks ago. In fact I've had it in my Amazon cart for awhile.