View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
HockeyMom

ah yes Friday night...

Friday nights suck! At least mine do. Last night my AH said he had to go out to 'tie up loose ends'. He said he had some stuff to clear up with his dealer, then he was done for good. He said he wouldn't be late blah blah blah blah At least I didn't believe him. Of course he didn't come home. This monring I got my MIL to drive me over to get the car, so I could take my son to hockey practice. He said for me to come get him after hockey and he would come home ....right.

It's so much easier when the kids are little and don't understand. BEcause my AH is a binger, everything is hunky-dorey for usually 4-6wks, then he'll go for a day or two. Well the boys are 6 & 8 now and what am I supposed to tell them when dad doesn't come home? I used to say he was working cause he used to drive a tractor-trailer and would be gone all diff times & overnite anyway. In June he got on with an apprenticeship, and now he works mon-fri 7-3. Kids aren't stupid, they can tell when you're lying. So I told them he stayed at his friends cause he drank too much and you know you can't drive after you drank alcohol. Oh all the questions, so many questions. I did my best, but I don't know if it was the right thing to tell them. And it still doesn't really explain why he's gone for 2 days. And it sure doesn't help them to know that their dad would rather be with his friends than go to their hockey games or skiing like he promised.

I have considered leaving. But isn't it better for them to have their dad around most of the time? At least they see him during the week, he does homework with them and puts them to bed. And some weekends he's home. Mind you, it is a progressive disease and this past month he has gone out every weekend. We get our house in two weeks. Chances are, things will get worse. But it will certainly be better than living with my in-laws any longer. The mortgage on the house is cheaper than rent in this city, and I can afford it on my own. So I think I am making the right choice. If he gets worse after we move, he'll just have to leave. I don't think it matters that the house is in his name. We're married and I pay all the bills and take care of the kids, I think I'd get the house in a seperation anyway. Now I just need to get my own car.......