Old 01-29-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Pipefish

Sponsors aren't saints or paternal figures. They are just people, usually further along, who are trying to stay sober too. Their own sobriety is paramount to them, like yours needs to be paramount to you.

Maybe they had other things going on in their lives (shocker!) Or maybe, with the benefit of their experience, they backed off because they sensed you weren't ready yet. No sane person isn't going to fight with someone else's alcoholism. They could be wrong, in which case, your job is to establish they really aren't able to work on the steps you with you right now, or go find someone else to work with you. You are after all the one who wants to stay sober.

If I am powerless of my own use of alcohol (which I am) it's really very unlikely (very) that as someone's sponsor, I can convince them of their powerlessness, and I wouldn't even begin to try. That's not what a sponsor is there to do anyway. A sponsor helps you work through the steps when you are ready to stay stopped drinking. And you do the reaching out on that one, because it's important to you and you'd like to begin saving your life.

Ultimately, my sponsor isn't responsible for my sobriety, or lack of it. I'm responsible for that, and for how I work my programme or not.

Ring the ones you lost touch with. Say where you're at, and what's been happening. And for me, with everything, it helps if I keep my expectations of others real and take responsibility for myself.

Best of with it all...