View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
autan
Alcohol Free Member

3 months Later - I am not an alcoholic

Well I have been Sober since the 2nd Jan 2014 and now 28 days later, previous to this I was 2 months Sober , I am looking back over my posts and taking stock.

Thats 3 months in the Sober Zone with a little time out for xmas, which wont be repeated.

The journey hasn't been an easy one and being Sober was not everything I expected it to be.

Saying that I have not had to hide empty bottles, wake up feeling sick or with a pounding headache.

Arguments over the amount I drink, cant drive because I was drunk and generally unfit to be around my own child because of my drunkenness.

3 months later, I am a reformed character. I no longer drink alcohol. Being Sober was supposed to make me feel great all of time, I was supposed to have all my problems in my life, solved simply by not picking up a drink and people would understand and congratulate me on how well I was doing on the street.
Then of course you wake up to the reality that is the only real truth.

You still have the same problems in life being sober or drunk, it is how you deal with them thats different. Now I don't hit the bottle after an argument with my Wife and instead of spending weeks in the dog house, it was just a day and a bit.

I dont find I am craving alcohol at all and therefore just get on with my life, instead of planning my next drink, hiding the empties and managing a hangover.

People don't understand your relationship with alcohol, they are incapable. They say things like, why cant you just stop drinking in the first place. Well we can stop drinking, we have proven that and we have also proven we are not going to drink again.

Being drunk doesn't numb you, anymore than going to sleep for a few hours. The only difference is, when your asleep your not harming yourself or others.

I am done with "trying not to drink", either leave it behind or dont. I am choosing to have nothing more to do with alcohol, it has taken too much from me, time I will never get back. It gave me a false feeling of self confidence, which was built on a self constructed pack of lies.

Maybe I will fail at life, maybe I will be a massive success, but doing it sober, I can claim I did it, not under the influence of drink. It has caused me nothing but trouble.

I think the most important lesson I have learned is, Autan was a human being that spent a lot of his time drinking and recovering from the drink. Then Autan got Sober and wondered what to do with all the free time.

Autan could spent that time "trying not to drink" or could do what normal people do, which is everything else in life.

The term alcoholic meant to me a person who "likes alcoholic", I am no longer an alcoholic, I am a person who chooses not to drink alcohol, because he doesn't like the effect it has on me.

I outright refuse to be labelled or allow people to treat me a certain way because of a label.

I think the assumptions that people attach to alcoholics is always negative and that is not helpful, if you are like me and no longer choose to drink.

After all, I do not go around saying to people, hello my name is Autan and I am an ex-smoker. I am simply a person who no longer chooses to smoke cigarettes.

Hypnotherapy has helped me, by disassociating my personality from addictive behaviour rather than simply trying to prevent me from drinking. This forum has taught me, we are not all the same. We dont all treat alcohol the same and we do not all, follow the same behaviour, but there is one goal and one common aim, which I hold most dear.

We are all committed to no longer drinking alcohol and while that thought is in your mind, you are not an alcoholic you are Sober.

Thank you for letting me get this of my chest. </RANT>