View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

a wicked addiction

So my sobriety this time around has been fraught with sleeping problems. Actually, even before I came back to sobriety, I have been struggling with sleep for a few years. I know part of it is stress, part normal age-related-shifts, part being a parent, part just life.... but I also decided that a big influence is my significant love affair with coffee.

So today I began a quest to de-tox my body of caffeine. Holy hell.

I did have a green tea late morning in an effort to avoid withdrawals.... but my noon I had a headache so intense I felt I would vomit and could hardly focus on my work. My eyes blurred frequently and I was ready to scream.

Had to resort to taking Excedrin - which contains about the same amount of caffeine as a standard cup of coffee. So, I'm still having to feed the physical dependence just to function. Still, cutting out my normal super strong morning coffee has made a huge dent in my typical intake. I guess this may take me a few days / weeks... but I really need to get to a better place with sleep so that I can be healthier and happier and more at ease.

Who knew that caffeine could be so damn powerful? This is worse than quitting alcohol by far. I never had headaches like this from not drinking.

Thanks for listening to my rant.