View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
HumbleNumb

Originally Posted by SilentLove View Post
CleaninLI,

The reason why I ask if it's possible is because he grew up in a Christian family where everything was Christian based. He was very involved in church before we even met so that's why it makes me wonder how he could fall off the wagon. I mean, I knew there were other factors involved such as his cousins enabling him to drink (oh yeah, he's also an alcoholic). I personally don't think he can give up his power to The Lord because he always wants to be in control. Although he grew up in a Christian home, his values and actions conflict each other. Sometimes he still questions whether The Lord even exists. In regards to the smiling in pictures, he's told me before that no matter how miserable his life is, he's never going to show that. I feel like it's all a facade.

How many days are you sober? I'm glad to hear that The Lord has guided you in your recovery!
Fact - it IS possible that someone who grew up in a family and home founded on Christian faith, Christian principals, CAN and DO "fall off the wagon"...
I have been sober 5 years now, by God's grace. He DID change me... although it took me humbling myself to Him. My AH on the other hand, who was not raised in the Christian faith, also has experienced that same freedom when I did... In fact, it seemed to come easier for him back then. Now, however, he struggles with faith, with the person of God... and God's ability to love, forgive and accept him in his current condition.
I cannot believe that a person can just "get God" and get sober... but God enables EVERYONE who submits to Him the opportunity for freedom.

For me... I serve a God of Second Chances... and I know so many more who live in that reality every day... sober, happy, and free.

God is not a magic lamp to grant us wishes... and He is not going to push Himself on anyone.
What He is, is LOVE... and I know that as long as I walk in that LOVE, trust in that LOVE and believe that all things are possible because of that LOVE, then I am free. I realize that I may have lived outside of His will for me at times, but I never lived outside of His LOVE for me.
I am also free to turn the other way... although, now that I've experienced true LOVE... I never want to waste another day outside of that LOVE, nor outside of His will for me.