View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bumble

How many steps are there in Step 4?!

I'm not sure what the rules are on copying and pasting from external websites, but I found some guidelines for Step 4 on 12step.org :

"First, we may need to "tell our stories." This can be accomplished by journaling, that is, by writing out our stories, and by sharing them with others in recovery meetings or private dialogue...

A second component in our inventory is discovering the roots of our addictions and codependencies. In most cases, this means we have to examine our childhoods. What needs were not met there? What negative experiences or messages about ourselves did we absorb in the dysfunctional family of origin? ...

Third, we must confront and assess the full extent of our dependencies. Doing so, we will learn more about the severity of our primary addictions, and we may uncover other peripheral addictions we had not previously recognized. We should inventory and identify all of these codependent symptoms and addictions, which have manifested themselves in our adolescent and adult lives....

Fourth, we need to look back at our relationship history with the people who have been significant in our lives - parents, teachers, mentors, friends, romantic interests. We need to inventory all the ways we have hurt them and hurt ourselves by practicing our adult addictions and codependencies...

Fifth, we must address our guilt feelings. We realize that most addictions are shame-based and shame-propelled. To move beyond this shame-base, we need to distinguish between two major forms of guilt: 1) False shame, or carried shame... 2) Authentic guilt...

Sixth, we must "look for the good". An important counterbalancing dimension is that a Step 4 inventory should include the positive, as well as the negative, things about us... "

- From: "Serenity, A Companion for Twelve Step Recovery, p. 38-42"

Is it just me, or is this a lot of....steps? Don't get me wrong, I'll do this all if it will help, but I had originally just planned to fill out a nice, tidy little chart based on the one in the Big Book and then go from there.

Thoughts?