View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 04:54 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
trudgingagain

DD...when I first got sober, I went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with pervasive anxiety disorder/depression. Tried MANY different anti-depressants (Effexor, Cymbalta, Celexa,Lexapro, Straterra, Zyban, etc.) Ultimately, I think it was Lexapro that I stuck with for the longest time...and then used Abilify to boost that. I was completely convinced that I drank so much because there was some sort of chemical imbalance that was really resulting in anxiety/depression, so I thought I had found the panacea for my alcoholism....HA! Since I did not want to have to take meds for the rest of my life, I weaned myself off of the drugs and THEN told the psychiatrist. I stayed sober for many years after that, albeit with a valium here or there for panic attacks. I do think that there is some connection in terms of a chemical imbalance in the brain....and drinking....but, not sure if anti-anxiety/depression meds remove the urge to drink, or in some way minimize or compensate for it....just my dos centavos