View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
DoubleDragons

Originally Posted by fishoutawatta View Post
Okay, I'm trying to catch up . . .

But this thing about flossing raises an interesting (to me, at least) question/issue: is there a relationship between committing to give up (or take on) a couple of things at the same time? E.g., "I will floss" and "I won't drink". Do they support one another?

Hmmmm.

Fishy
You know, Fishy, I think changing my health habits before I quit drinking really helped me to quit drinking. I posted something to this affect on the Newcomers board one time and I took a lot of flack for it, but frankly, in my case it really helped. Before I quit drinking completely, I stopped drinking Diet Cokes, I started eating a lot more salads and taking a lot of vitamins, and I stopped eating red meat. I upped my exercise output and I started to feel some real benefits to being healthier. I went for a check-up for the first time in years, etc. Truly, I started to feel hypocritical by still drinking (even though I had cut back to weekends only), when I had done all of those other things. Amazingly, even with all of my other changes, it wasn't until I quit drinking that my ulcers felt better and my weight really tumbled off of me.