View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HeartsAfire

Ready to punch my ticket

I've been lurking since November trying to figure all of this out. I've related to you, laughed with you, cried with you, celebrated with you, sympathized to your stories, been dumbfounded that you know mine, denied I've had a "real" issue, judged you, stormed off like a child, processed all of the above and now I've finally accepted what I've known deep in my heart for years: I'm an alcoholic. More importantly than that; however, is that I'm finally ready to stop this asinine and insane merry-go-round of addiction that I've been on for almost 22 years (most desperately for the past 10).

My story is yours and vice versa. I've had a bad case of the "yets" lately and have never suffered a textbook bottom thus the continuation of my behavior. Thanks to this board though, I know without a doubt that it's only a matter of time. I think the most important thing I've gleaned so far is that Functional Alcoholic is merely a stage, not the destructive destination that I've prided myself having arrived at for many, many years.

I'm trying to put a plan in place. My first step is to reach out to all of you and let you know that I'm here and I'm ready. So if you've got room for one more (which I know you do), I'd like to join you on your journey.

Today is Day 1. Thank God.