Thread: Your Big Plan
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

Making a BP was my recovery. I stumbled upon SR and that lead me to RR.

The concepts and ways of thinking about addiction as presented in their material really resonated. I had for a long time explicitly denied the disease concept of addiction , but I had implicitly accepted the idea that quitting was either out of my own control or that I had to adopt a program in order to end my drinking. I now see that holding the idea that I couldn't do it on my own was part of my justification to continue being actively addicted. It was my "AV" , before I had even been aware of the term.
Drinking is something I either do or don't do on my own. I never was interested in life coaching , perhaps there is a benefit for me somehow in rethinking that premise , but groups predicated on one of the ideas that kept me trapped in the addiction "cycle" doesn't feel like a good place for me to start looking. That said, it doesn't mean that those types of programs don't necessarily have some truth or good principles to take, but the idea of a program that needs to be taken all or nothing, to me feels too much like dogma. As an analogy I am not Christian , but I love the golden rule.
Wish you well