Old 01-23-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
autan
Alcohol Free Member

Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
Just called the Doctors surgery this morning to ask about my results . The receptionist just said they came back 'normal'. Alcoholic liver disease is a horrendous way to go though. Disturbing how it's mostly 'silent' until one day the organ totally fails and you end up bloated and looking like something out of the Simpsons!
I agree. It is a silent killer, in part because the liver has few nerve endings. Fewer nerve endings mean that we do not feel or can tell it is damaged until the point where it damaged beyond repair.

There is no definitive point, when your liver is damaged beyond repair and therefore continuing to drink until this point is impossible. That point may have reached and breeched sometime ago or you may be normal as everyone is different.

It is this reason, that Alcoholic Liver Disease catches out so many people. I lost a friend to it and he took 6 months to die, he did not die well. Constant physical pain, withdrawal symptoms because only at the end did he stop drinking and degrading wasting of muscles that cause serious sleep deprivation, pain and other complications like constant retching like a hangover. Morphine and other pain killers cant be metabolised by the liver as it so far damaged and so they would kill you and are withheld.

I have never been more pleased for someone to die, it was a horror to watch a friend I loved go through this, if he was an animal he would have been humanely put down, but because Euthanasia is illegal in the UK, we all had to watch his demise slowly.

You wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy, let alone a friend.