View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
TheAceFace

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Hi Ace...I've had this same attitude since the time I first started to try and give up drinking over a year ago. For me, this approach clearly hasn't worked. Sure I have been to a pub and managed not to drink. I've also been to parties and stayed sober. But...I haven't changed enough of my past activities that are associated with drinking and have put myself at a high risk of relapse and eventually caved, multiple times. Some things are easier said than done and I just want to share my experience, that's all. A lot of my friends were more drinking buddies than friends. I honestly don't think I can hang out with them anymore, not if I'm true about my commitment to sobriety.
I can understand that. Everyone's different I guess, but as most of my drinking was done alone, mainly at home, I have no option but to just get on with it. Sure, I'm working out a lot at the moment but I've always been active like that and it's only because I'm not too hungover to do it anymore. My mates are always going to be my mates, I don't really have 'drinking buddies' as such, they'll be the same people and I'll still meet up with them with or without the beer. I guess I'm lucky in a way that I don't have to really change anything in my life while staying sober.

IreLander - Sorry to hear of your troubles. Been there and done it myself as a 23 year old, lost my licence for two years. I still remember how bad it all seemed at the time so I can sympathise a lot, I hope you get it all sorted out.

Just back from the gym and knackered so checking out, will be starting my fourth week tomorrow which I'm really chuffed about.