View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
StandingStrong

Hmm.......years and years ago, I was thinking about my greatest fear in life. My greatest fear was not the typical fear that most people have (such as fear of dying a certain way). My biggest fear was that I'd grow up and be a bitter person (like I always thought my Grandmothers were). Ironically, the older that I got, the more that I learned, the more that I saw, etc. And what I came to learn is that both of my Grandfather's were alcoholics. After marrying one myself, I have a whole new understanding of why my Grandmothers are the way they are - as well as the reasons that my aunts & uncles are the way they are.
Over the years, I slowly was becoming bitter. The past 6 years or so, that was becoming more evident to me. I was petrified. I was starting to live my greatest fear in life!!!!! But I am determined that I will NOT become a bitter old woman.

On another note - Let me tell you that I know how you feel when it comes to having a child and wanting to spend time with her, etc. However, just from another point of view, let me ask you.......what will your daughter learn from growing up in this household? How much more resentful are you going to be of your AH in 5 years if he doesn't get better? (let's not forget that alcoholism is progressive) So how are you going to feel if it gets worse? And isn't your life worth living being happy? And just what are you getting out of this relationship other than financial security?

You see, there are many things to look at when you are in your situation. But mostly, I hope you take a good look at yourself. I'd recommend you read up on anything and everything you can about alcoholism if you haven't already. If you really plan to stay with your AH - then you are going to need the tools to be able to do so and stay sane and as healthy-minded as you can be.