View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freshperspective14

On the heels of my "fun" weekend...sigh

Just had a "fun" weekend with visiting friends. And though I've been trying out sobriety for the last few weeks, my husband was a good sport about my drinking this weekend. Oddly enough, I had told my friends in advance that I could not drink on the weekend and they were very supportive. I lasted about one hour into the visit before the vodka came out. Of course I drank more than everyone else combined. And, of course, my weekend carried into Monday and I went and bought my bi-weekly box of wine. So there I am, sitting and chatting with my boys when my husband walks in from work and the first words out of his mouth are "Where is it? The wine?" I tell him and he retrieves it and announces that the kids are going to watch me dump it down the sink. I realized that I had no rights to feelings of anger, shame, embarrassment...I have made my own bed. I suppose that my husband decided that rather than trying to ignore my problem, it is better to outright acknowledge what the kids are well aware of. But nothing is quite as sobering as trying to explain to your 12 and 6 year old that while wine and other alcohol are not always bad for everyone, they are bad for me because I have a sickness.