Thread: Triggers
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by Asclepius View Post
She definitely has postpartum depression, as well as untreated bi-polar disorder that she was self medicating for years. Her therapist is trying to get her an appointment with their psychiatrist so she can get back on her meds.
I think your wise to think about the postpartum depression. My son is 2 years old now and I can tell you I clearly remember how emotional I was after he was born even though I didn't have diagnosed depression. My husband and I were separated at the time because of his drug addiction. Main drug was prescription pain meds, but he also became addicted to a benzo - Xanax, and did coke for a while. He went to rehab when our son was still very small. He would get very anxious when our son would cry, or panic when he felt like he didn't know exactly how to care for him. Im sure your wife has all kinds of feelings including guilt for not being there, fear of not being a good mom, and maybe even a fear of getting too close thinking she might lose her child forever. I say that because at one point my husband was afraid if he relapsed I would have the power to take away his son. Not something I would ever try to do unless he became an out right negative force. I would always want him to know his son. This could possibly be why she is acting out toward you ? Very sorry your going through this. I hope she gets the treatments she needs and can be back in your lives very soon. Good luck to you both.