Thread: Long Road Back
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jupiter2

Long Road Back

Hello,

This is my second day sober. I really want to stay sober this time and have been trying for quite a while (I am definitley an alcoholic). My Grandfather was an alcoholic, my father is an alcoholic and I am pretty sure that at least one of my great uncles suffered from this disease (no firm evidence there). I am 42 now and was in AA for about a year and a half in the late 80's. I even had a sponsor and got to the fourth step before going out. I am pretty much at the end of my rope. I have not lost everything yet, but am seeing it slip away slowly. The downhill road has taken years for me. I do have one token of my days in AA and that is my Big Book. I have wanted to quit drinking for about 5 years and for the last 3 years have been reading the Big Book a couple of times a week (when I have a sober day). I am pretty sure I know what is missing: meetings and contact with other alcoholics. I am down to one client in my business and am just subsisting. I have a wife and 8 year old daughter and don't want to lose them. I think what I am asking for is a few prayers for me. I need willingness at this point to go to that first meeting. I have been lurking on this board for about two weeks and am truly amazed at how caring you guys are. Thank God I found this place!