View Single Post
Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Hey Dawn......welcome to SR.

Insurance companies can be absolutely insane to deal with.......they make "decisions" based on their own financial perspective......rather than on what actually needs to be done.

I can't really give you any advice on your situation, but I can tell you what I wish I had done when my son was still a minor:

1. I wish that I had understood clearly the difference between punishment and consequences. Punishment doesn't really work.....consequences do.

2. I wish that I had allowed my son to feel the full consequences of his behavior, rather than trying to protect him from them.

3. I wish that I had sought more help and support for myself while dealing with a difficult teenager.

4. I wish that I had had less concern about wanting him to feel loved and more about firm parenting.

5. I wish that I had understood the concept of codependence and had taken the time to look more closely at my own behaviors.

6. I wish that I had remained calm and not allowed myself to be disrespected or manipulated.

7. I wish that I had sought the help of a counselor who specializes in the parenting of difficult teenagers.

8. I wish that I had understood fully the meaning of boundaries, how to implement them, and how to enforce them.

9. I wish that I had understood how damaging denial can be.....for me and for those around me.

Those are a few of my thoughts.........from a 20/20 hindsight perspective. I don't know if any of that helps you or if you can relate to any of it. I hope you stick around. There are a lot of parents here on SR.

Does your son have substance abuse issues?

gentle hugs
ke