Thread: Happy Beginning
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hammer
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Hey Booo. THAT was really interesting.

Thanks for mentioning RR -- I had never read much of its details or concepts.

I was a little surprised on No Alanon for you (or I guess *us,* if thinking in terms of Friends and Family), because I am not sure how it conflicts, but if that is part of the RR system, and it works, good for you.

I am not going to Al-Anon, but despite RR's policy, if I feel I need it, I have np problem going if I decide that is what I need.
Good for you on the independent thinking part. Both ways and all ways.

Since we have been doing the 12 step side of things, with some -- but limited -- success, it is really interesting to hear and talk with other folks about what work(s/ed) for them (talking about Real People -- not Program Promoters -- from either or any side).

I think what may be missing from all the various perspectives is that not All Addicts or All Alcoholics have the same causes (and therefore not the same cures) behind their Addictions.

Even or maybe especially in our case. Mrs. Hammer has had addiction problems since she was 10 or 11 y.o. Found that first bottle, and oh, baby, oh. But as far as I can tell, she most likely has an underlying brain hardware problem (Hyperactive Amygdala) which goes WWWAAAAYYYY beyond just an Alcohol or any of the other *mere* Addiction Issues. It is just the various mood altering Drugs, Alcohol, Behaviors tend to calm the Hyperactivity and sedate the condition -- at least for a while -- so that becomes the new Self-Treatment program.

That is more of a Hardware Medical Research Model -- and I do not see THAT in any common program. Other than to group it in a Personality Disorder type Mental Illness, and consider it generally un-treatable.

But SO GLAD your stuff is working for you all. If is *just* an addiction you all are dealing with -- sounds great and VERY HAPPY for you.

Many Happy Trails ahead to you.