View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
For me it's unrealistic to say that I am going to do anything "forever". Forever is a very long time and there are a lot of things that happen in life that you don't expect.

Having said that I fully realize now that I cannot drink responsibly, and that it is in my best interest to never pick up a drink again. As long as I remember that and do the necessary things to not pick up the first drink, things seem to work out much better than the alternative.
Scott - I think the difference is in the parsing here. Saying you will never take a drink again is an accurate representation of your intentions. It does not mean that this is fact. I intend to never drink again and I am building a program to embrace a sober lifestyle. This statement is true but does not mean that this is fact and will happen. I may have someone put a gun to my head if I don't drink and I in that situation would take the drink.

Also the combination of intending to never drink again (goal) with the execution of not drinking today as a path to achieve said goal. Its sort of like having a five year plan for yourself but you still make rail to do lists to execute towards this goal. The two are not mutually exclusive and achieve in the end the same goal.