View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by ClearMind View Post
Hey everyone,

Just for curiosity's sake, I just wanted to know how many of you who have quit (or are trying to quit) take the mental approach of quitting "One Day At A Time" as compared to "Quitting For Life". I believe the AA perspective is that you have to take it a day at a time, but the Rational Recovery / AVRT technique is that you fully renounce the possibility of drinking in the future.

For myself, personally, I have always been in the AVRT / quitting forever camp. I've been thinking of it a lot lately, though, and now I feel I can possibly incorporate both into my recovery plan. For example, I can take the AVRT mindset of "I will never drink again and I will never change my mind", but of course the only point of time in which we can ever be in is the "present", so the idea of not drinking for "today" seems very appealing and achievable to me.

I definitely don't have this all figured out. I've been trying different things over the course of my journey - some have worked, some have not. The one thing I do know is that I will continue to give it my 100%!

Any opinions would be great! I'm very curious.
Sorry - I posted something about RR and AA and just realized this is a non no in Newcomers section - sorry for deletion.