View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
doggonecarl
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sounds like you are trying to figure out AA without the guidance of someone who has worked the program successfully.

Powerlessness is one of the heavily debated topics on the forum. The first step in AA is to admit we have a problem that we cannot help ourselves with.

Some find the term debilitating and feel it robs them of the power to choose their recovery. Others could not begin to recover until the surrendered to the fact that they didn’t have the power. This is from your first post, 2bhappier:

My drinking is daily and even though it isn't a huge amount (well at least 1/2 bottle of wine a day which I think is a lot for a woman) I can't stop. I feel terrible about myself and even worse because I know I'll drink tonight, tomorrow night, Sunday night and hopefully NOT Monday night. Am I insane?

Alcoholism is insanity. You can’t stop despite your desire to. You were drinking then, you are drinking now. Is that powerlessness?

If changing your mindset to thinking you aren’t powerless, that you have the power to quit works, well, you’ll quit.

If not, if you continue to struggle, find a sponsor to help you with the steps.