View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Originally Posted by jkb View Post
That is the one thing I miss also. Now I am learning that I don't need a drink to "unleash" my wild side. I just need confidence. Which sobriety is giving me more and more of daily.

Jess
Wow! Well said!

DD,
Congrats on the 105 days, 100 days was huge for me too!

To take it further, alcohol just gave us an excuse to not do the really hard work of maturing. One of the things I have found is that we are each responsible for our happiness. Depending on another person or a substance for our happiness keeps us from learning how to just be ourselves, and happy with that.

Drinking? Wild side?

For those mossing that what are you doing about it? If you are feeling that way, likely nothing. See, alcohol made me feel all knowing and adventurous when in reality I was disheveled and in a dark room or drinking alone at home, doing nothing but drinking. Witty? Not! Alcohol made me feel like I was doing something when nothing was happening. I would sit on my ass rather than get off it to really be wild.

You see, you are conditioned to stay away from actually doing anything that could hurt you in an accident by doing it while drinking. There are few living drunk skydivers who drank while packing their chute. Few living scuba divers who had a blackout underwater 100feet. Few private pilots that had blackout in the air.

However if being outgoing and wild is what you want, sober, you can now more safely get certified and scuba or sky dive. Learn to ride a motorcycle, drive a race car, hang glide, take flying lessons and get your license. Learn to ski and take lessons to get up to speed on the slopes, get a surfboard and learn to surf, ride a horse, drive a four wheeler, climb a mountain or rock face, hike the Freedom Trail, take a train through Europe . . .

I wrote here early in my sobriety something that surprised me when I had been sober a year. I yearned for the feeling of being wild when drinking but realized the reason I was bored was because I was doing the same things I did when drunk. Essentially nothing at all. I then realized what boredom really was, I wrote:

"Boredom is wanting to do something, anything, as long as you don’t have to actually do something to do it."

Drinking only makes us feel wild, when that isn't exciting enough we act really stupid not brilliant and daring but pathetic. We aren't actually doing anything.

What are you waiting for? The body heals true. But making ourselves happy and getting wild requires trying new things we could, or would, not do drunk!

Try any one thing on the list above. Use the large amount you used to spend on alcohol to take the training necessary don't just do it half-vast, do it well. Come back and post after the training and once you are doing your wild thing. Bet the last thing you are is bored.

Isn't it time to stop getting ready and start getting to it?