Thread: first time
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ZeldaFan

Welcome to SR! For me, I tried to stay as busy as possible. I changed my routine as much as I could to start building a new one without drinking. Because I was drinking so much for years, I had plenty of tasks available to keep me occupied due to neglecting so much during that time.

I had my house cleaned, organized a lot, got some new furniture, upgraded some of my electronic equipment with the money saved from not drinking, bought new clothes got back into my old hobbies, exercised outside (it was nice out then), cooked dinner every night and ate a lot of sweets (cravings for sweets hit hard when many people quit).

Basically, I kept busy. I made a plan earlier in the day of what I had to do that night and I stuck to it. I stuck to my new route home even though it was incredibly difficult for the first month or so. Now, months later, I find myself in a new routine and I don't think about making that stop for booze anymore. It takes time to retrain the brain but it can be done. You can do it!