Thread: So worried
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Leana

Originally Posted by Kristen0408 View Post
I know that I know all this deep in my heart. I just wish I could get up the courage to follow through with my threats over time. I know he needs help and that he needs to find the strength from within to beat this disease. The first two trips to rehab were mandated by his work. He told me a couple weeks ago he didn't even need to go at all. He says drinking is his outlet, etc. He also blames others for his unhappiness - I can't count the number if times I have been told that it's my fault. He has has DUI, been in fights resulting in injuries and almost lost his job on two occasions - what does it take? I know I am codependent and just as sick as he is. Thanks for your responses - feels good to not be alone 🌹
Have you read any threads about "detaching"? See if you can find some posts about it on the "family and friends" forum. At first detaching felt like I was giving up but as time went on it is what saved me.

If nothing else, stop threatening without following through. I have found that it is better to say nothing than to do that. Alcoholics are so damn manipulative and grab onto anything they can to keep drinking. Blame and guilt are part of their game. So is knowing when to tune out a loved one, who they know, never follows through on what they say. All they hear is "blah, blah, blah" while thinking "drink, drink, drink".