View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Siesta

Just wanted to add that I'm struggling with friendships now also. Two months sober and have almost cut off all communication from my previous friendships. I feel bad about it. Like I'm leaving them behind.
One friend refuses to believe I'm an alcoholic, so I can't really put myself in any situations with her unless I'm prepared to go into details about my drinking days. I'm not ready for that because I'm afraid if she learns the truth about how bad my drinking was, she won't want to be friends anyway.
Another friend is someone I really want to help get sober but I know she's not ready, so I'm trying to be friendly but from a distance. She's a mess and frequently says she should quit drinking but then never does.
Then there is my old best drinking buddy. Sorry to say I don't think I can salvage any relationship with him except for a "hey, how's it going?" When I see him around town. He is still in the depths of heavy drinking and denial and doesn't want anything to do with change. I think it scares him to see me step out of that life and want more for myself. He doesn't want to admit there may be any problems with how he is living life.
Even though I feel bad about losing friendships, I know that it's necessary in my path to stay sober. Climbing and clawing my way out if that life sometimes requires losing negative people along the way who may try to grab onto me to pull me back down.